Sunday, June 13, 2010

Conversation

I'm not ready for this. This new stage of parenting. Up until now, conversations have been pretty one sided in our household where children are concerned. When Tristyn requested that I talk to her, I figured she meant it. Me. Talking. To. Her. Like telling a story. Then she said, "Mama, what's your favorite food?"

HUH?

Pizza, of course, I tell her. What's your favorite food, Tristy? Her response (I kid you not): "Edamame".

I realize parents of much more sophisticated 3 year olds all over the internet are laughing. And maybe I'm being naive. But I've been in this twin-induced fog for years now, and I'm just starting to glimpse the bright sun through the clouds. My babbling babies are becoming loquacious children with opinions and endless inquiries. 

This morning, while lounging in bed, Jaeda assaults me out of sleep by facetiously gnawing on my big toe, and Tristyn burrows under the covers to kiss my belly-button. Questions ensue until it is discovered that mommy has an earring hole (how do they know these things???) where I used to have my navel ring. The inevitable question follows: "Why do you have an earring hole in your belly button?"

Sigh.

I don't have an answer, of course. Instead, I employ my tried and true distraction technique. "Who wants pop-tarts?!"

Befuddled by this new found offspring intelligence, I settle them on the couch to watch Pinocchio, and regain the normalcy that I crave. Just when Jaeda turns to me and says, "Mama?"

"Yes honey."

"You're beautiful." 

Me and inquisitive Tristy at the Vancouver Zoo

3 comments:

  1. aww!!!! I love that her fave food is edamame!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love moments like those...
    After a while though, you wonder if they'll ever shut up... just kidding...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooof! This is a wondrous progression into life with growing twins, isn't it? I agree with your beautiful little girls. They've not fallen far from a beautiful (and belly-pierced ;) ) tree.

    The questions get more and more entertaining, and the responses more and more amazing...and occasionally, unnerving. Enjoy the ride.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...