Sunday, May 2, 2010

Magnetic

"You look gorgeous", I sputter unexpectedly to a pregnant woman in my office building. We've never met, but we are standing outside the second floor ladies room waiting for maintenance to finish re-stocking. Neither of us want to venture to the first or third floor - she is 7 months pregnant, and I'm in my favorite black pumps (and blissfully UNpregnant).

What is it about a pregnant woman that is so magnetic? And how come I never felt that way when I was pregnant?

My pregnancy was a myriad of swirling emotions, feeling as though I was alone in the desert with sand storms all around me. Every day felt like that rushed morning routine when you feel as though you forgot something important on your way out the door. My brain was mushy, confused and anxious. Fear threatened to invade at every corner.

My favorite part of my pregnancy happened while attending a Crave party. As my best friend and I perused the all-female vendor aisles, she ran into an acquaintance. We were introduced and M told her I was expecting twins. Her face lit up and she immediately bent down to cradle my belly in both of her hands. For that brief moment, I felt that glow that women speak of.

In this hypersensitive society, where a pregnant woman's belly is off limits, I teach my girls to cherish the bellies of my pregnant friends, telling them that "there is a baby in her belly!" And (assuming they are okay with it) I urge them to place their little hands over the life force that resides underneath.

I know I'll eventually need to explain additional sordid details to my children, but for now, it's simply gratifying to see the dawn of their knowledge of the human body, and the magical commencement of life.  


Why does the stork get all the credit?

The reason that pregnant women are so magnetic is simple, really. We are witnessing the glimpse of procreation which, ultimately, is the reason we are all here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...