Sunday, March 7, 2010

Beauty on the Inside

For as long as I can remember, my dad has called me "Beauty". His response when he hears my voice on the phone is always the same: "Beauty". I wish I could bottle up his voice so that I could always recollect the pitch in his voice, the meaning in that one word.

The six letters uttered from my paternal force are much more than the word it forms. To me, it speaks volumes: I accept you just as you are, you are beautiful inside and out, you can do anything you want to do - be anything you want to be, and I will love you no matter what.

It has now become my habit, by sheer momentum of adoration, to also call my girls "my beauties". Of course, to me, it means much more than the word itself as well, but my daughters are not cognizant of that yet - and may not be until the throes of adulthood.

Recently, my cousin and I were chatting while the girls took us for a walk and I expressed to her that being a parent makes you ask the question - what will my contribution be to the world, to the human race? As many mothers and fathers realize, it is through their children that we can consider a life well lived. For me, my most powerful influence is compassion - I simply want my girls to be good hearted, help others, be generous, and pay it forward and backward.

My dad instilled confidence and strength in his only daughter. He gave me a compassionate heart by advising me to "be nice to everyone, even the nerds". He gave me a thoughtful outlook on others by embracing the character of each individual he came across.

I don't believe that a little girl can be told too often how beautiful she is - there will always be someone or something to strip away her self-esteem. What makes a child a "princess" is a lack of grounding, a sense of entitlement by overindulgent parents lacking in parental limits, and an upbringing void of circumstances that teach compassion.

My daughters' Beauty will have to be taught - and earned - throughout their lives. But as their mom, I'm confident they will live up to the title.
My dad with his 2 Beauties

1 comment:

  1. "what will my contribution be to the world, to the human race? As many mothers and fathers realize, it is through their children that we can consider a life well lived."

    I think if you can embrace this, that raising children well with compassion is enough, than you are a wise Mama.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...