Thursday, October 22, 2009

Cabbage Patch Preemies

Premature babies are a different breed from full-term babies. What you notice first, of course, is their size. In our new age of fertility treatments and higher order multiples, I've seen heartbreaking images of impossibly tiny human beings struggling for each breath, a myriad of cords emerging from orifices and wrapped around limbs.

Yes, they are smaller and require miniature, doll-like clothes. Hand knitted hats are lovingly donated for their sweet little heads. They have their own endearing moniker: preemies. Children can own their very own preemie Cabbage Patch doll. ----------WAIT, what??? Not until I had two premature infants did it occur to me how absolutely absurd it is that a company would market such a thing. This video of an old commercial makes me sick to my stomach. But what's worse is that they are still being sold. Oh yes folks, the 25 year anniversary editions are available now. *Sigh*

Preemies are not "bouncing" babies.

They overstimulate easy; I remember my sweet father in their NICU room holding Jaeda in a rocking chair and seeing her readings spike in distress from the simple rocking motion, despite being swaddled tightly and held by her loving grandfather.

Preemies can't suck. Pre-baby, I thought breastfeeding came naturally. Then I learned that it's a skill by both parties. New infants can almost be the teacher to the new mommy, but preemies don't possess this skill.

Preemies don't meet typical developmental milestones. Mothers today are bombarded by charts and articles and e-newsletters and magazines telling us when our babies should smile, coo, track, sit-up, roll over, ad naseam. Doctors have attempted to solve this little problem by giving us "corrected age". Moms of preemies cling to this almost to a fault. Myself included. But it creates this neurotic dynamic that's hard to disregard. It's so easy to forget that children all develop at their own rate, and preemies even more so.

Their immune systems are compromised. They are sequestered during their hospital stay, sheltered from the loving hands of friends and family. Upon arrival home, new parents are given strict orders not to go out in public, or let many people hold or touch them. This is a heartbreaking endeavour; I had to turn away well meaning neighbors that showed up at my door eager to see my new babies.

Preemies are at increased risk for life long health conditions, learning disabilities and other delayments.

Preemies require significant additional medical resources.

Enough said.

I'm blessed to have had two preemies that are now healthy little girls, but the experience was not nearly as glamorous as the marketers of baby dolls would have led me to believe.

3 comments:

  1. Great post. I am a mummy to a prem baby (although my baby is now 8!) and I still find strength in reading other peoples prem-journey. I came over from the Bloggers Unite March of Dimes WPD and so pleased I did. Am looking forward to reading more posts. Lynsey (http://lynseythemotherduck.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there. Grea post. I am also a mummy of premature twins and I agree - it is not glamorous at all! I could relate to so much of what you have written here, as I'm sure many preemie mummies would.

    I also submitted a post to the Bloggers Unite world prematurity day (although it is not as coherant and well-structured as yours). I'm sure we will see many more inspiring, informative and emotive entries springing up as the event unfolds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear your preemies are doing well. My twins were 24-weekers and tomorrow celebrate both World Prematurity Day and their birthday. Read more of our story Mike&Ollie: 24-weekers who beat the odds. Best wishes to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...