Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Letter to My Mom

Mother's Day 2009
Dear Mom,

This Mother’s Day, my thoughts are of how these past 3 years, starting from the beginning of my pregnancy to the girls 2nd birthday, have shaped me into a different person – a mom. And how the experience has strengthened my love for you, if that’s possible. I remember only wanting to call you and no one else, the day I found out there were 2 babies in there. I remember that I didn’t want to hang up the phone and turn off your reassuring voice. So many moments in these past 3 years are so vivid, and most of them involve you – our many phone conversations during my pregnancy; wishing you were there to see their birth, and to witness my strength (Look mom! I gave birth to twins!); feeling my heart rip out of my chest watching you say goodbye to your tiny preemie granddaughters; watching you, amazed, dancing for them in your nightgown; giggling as we tried to feed them bananas; laughing hysterically at your antics with your camera; and just feeling a sense that everything would be ok because you were there with me to help me with my struggle to feel confident that I could do this – I could mother twins.

I love telling you stories about our days – you understand me better than anyone. I love hearing the eagerness in your voice to hear tidbits about Jaeda & Tristyn – anything at all, and how you soak in every detail.

I have discovered that even though I’m an adult, and a mother myself, I still have those “I want my mommy” moments: The afternoon you swept in and saved me from a wailing Tristyn, or the late night when you took Jaeda from my arms and walked out the front door to calm her down.

It’s funny to think that that’s the only way I’ve ever known you – as my mom - but you get to witness the transition in me. I guess that’s one of the many privileges of being someone’s mother.

I love you. Thank you for being my #1 support.

Amber Lena

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...