Tuesday, December 27, 2011

National Geographic

Identical twins are on the cover of the December National Geographic and the subject of NPR's The Picture Show blog.

Looking at the photos is fascinating. I love to look at the subtle differences in their features. I try to decide if I would be able to tell them apart if I knew them in real life.

We spent Christmas with extended family, most of whom don't see the girls on a frequent enough basis to be able to tell them apart. I'm convinced that, as identical twins go, mine are on the easy-to-tell-apart end of the spectrum. Sometimes I wonder if all parents of identical twins feel that way. But then I hear stories of parents that require nail polish to distinguish their children apart.

I cannot imagine what that would be like. Telling them apart has always been easy. I recall the days in the NICU, Tristy under the bili lights, calming her with my palm over her wispy white-blonde hair. Jaeda lay in the neighboring isolette, with her signature dirty blonde mohawk atop her head.

Who's this guy?
2007 (8 months old)
Tristyn on the left, Jaeda on the right  (note the mohawk)
On Christmas eve, my husband's cousin (interesting fact: he is genetically his half brother because his mom is my husband's mom's identical twin) came for a visit. Its been a few years since he's seen my girls and they had just dried off from the bathtub and put on last years snowman pajamas (seen below in the 2010 Santa photo, which are now totally high-waters).

They obediently stood in front of Lenny as I took a sideways glance at them to introduce them each by name, as I try to do.

And wouldn't you know it, I introduced them wrong. Me. Their mother. *sigh* My only excuses are that they were wearing the same outfit, had wet hair and I was looking at them sideways instead of head-on. Ok, those are pretty good excuses, but I still felt horrible (and a little embarrassed).  Because I'm usually the one doing the correcting. "That's Jaeda" or "You mean Tristyn" when someone refers to them incorrectly.

Traumatized (I love that Santa is laughing)
2008 (Age 1 1/2)
Tristyn on the left, Jaeda on the right 
On the trip home, we had settled into the ridiculously cramped play room designated for kids on the ferry from Nanaimo (Vancouver Island) to Vancouver, which is a 2 hour journey. The woman sitting next to me (who was obviously miserable) had a rambunctious older boy (maybe 6) and a precocious (read: bratty) little girl about the same age as my girls.
Feeling a little shy
2009 (2 1/2)
Tristyn on the left, Jaeda on the right 
We had managed to ignore each other, as parents of young children tend to do whilst stuck on a ferry with strangers for 2 hours, until I heard her son ask if my girls were twins. My ears perked, of course, to hear her answer. She replied "I'm sure they are sisters, but I don't think they are twins". Stunned, I turned to her and asked if she was referring to my girls. "They're actually identical twins" I heard myself say, and I realized that I felt almost a little defensive. So, I want people to tell them apart, but I also want people to recognize them as identical twins? Hmm...

Over the moon! 
2010 (3 1/2)
Jaeda on the left, Tristyn on the right 
One relative, whom they don't see very often, admitted to me that he 'still can't tell them apart'. I told him the newest "trick", which has saved their pre-school teacher and their gymnastics instructors; Jaeda's bangs are wavy, like the letter "J". Tristyn's are stick straight, like a "T".
Do you see the bangs?
2011 (4 1/2)
Jaeda on the left, Tristyn on the right 
But to me, its quite silly to even need this mnemonic. Their faces are quite different, their hair, even their voices. I've written about it before of course.

identical twins
You see what I mean, don't you??
I understand that these subtleties are lost on most people. Take any two children of the same gender and age and ask people to tell them apart.

My girls are lucky to have twin boy cousins that are just 5 months younger. They are fraternal, and are very easy to distinguish by hair color, eye color and height! While the four of them took turns playing Angry Birds on my cell phone, I overheard Tristyn ask her cousin Gabriel, "Which one are you?"

7 comments:

  1. Um... I'm sorry, Lena, but their bangs look exactly the same to me, even in those pictures you posted as illustration of their difference! I hope that I can tell them apart by the time they are old enough to be offended when I can't tell them apart! :)

    That woman on the ferry was crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the progression of photos over the years...so priceless! Great post. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can cover their names and still get it correct. I find that if you pay attention to the kids individually you see them for who they are and don't confuse them with their siblinigs. My sister has identicals at her preschool and she tells them apart by their personality because their looks are to similar. Tabitha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two of my best friends from infancy forward are identical twins and I definitely could tell them apart as far back as I can remember. There was one time in first grade that I called to one from the top of a playground and I was wrong and was mortified.

    I actually could tell their voices apart on the phone by the time we were old enough to use phones easily.

    That said, even in their mid-20s with I think different looks, they confused people in my wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and at 30, one has a reasonable amount of grey hair (just the strands here and there, but throughout the head) while the other has none!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have three (!) sets of identical twins in one of my algebra classes. They give me fits! I can tell the girls apart a little easier because of their personalities (as well as the fact that they write with the opposite hands - mirrored). One set of boys have slightly differently personalities but MANY of the same actions - it's fun to put them next to each other and watch them move in unison. The other set of boys are new, and I'm having a really hard time distinguishing who if who - and I hate to stare to try and find their face differences. Thank goodness for seating charts! So yes, some identicals are easier to tell apart, but for me, it takes time to truly get to know them as individuals.

    Wondering about the odds - an eighth grade group of 88 has three sets of identicals (and a fraternal set that moved away earlier this year), and that all six would be in the same algebra class (I have two algebra groups). Crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3 sets? That IS crazy! We have solved the problem of telling them apart because last weekend, one of mine decided to get a short hair cut!

      Oh, and mine are opposite handed too!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...