Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Double Life

The exhaustive debate rages on about working vs. stay at home moms. I can only speak from my own experience.

Working moms live a double life, constantly switching roles. Personally, I love having my "work hat" on half the time, conversing intelligently with clients and co-workers, and then enjoying the contrast of child-centric  activities (like playing Barbies on the living room floor).

In theory, it would allow me to appreciate each activity that much more. But finding the balance of it can be exhausting.

The roles blur and overlap on a regular basis; a sick child cuts into work time, or a work phone call requires my attention at the height of an involved child activity.

When I was in massage school, we discussed the importance of transitions. But that's a luxury that most moms don't have. For me, I'm lucky (yes, lucky) enough to have a commute that allows for "me" time, listening to books on tape, listening to music, chatting on the phone, or just thinking.

And, I have found there are certain similarities between work and kids that eluded me until recently. Both are more efficient on a schedule, but require flexibility to solve an unexpected situation. Prioritizing comes into play quite often. Problem solving... Conflict resolution... You get the idea.

If only I had figured that out when I had two infants. Or two toddlers, for that matter.

We all need balance in our lives. Seriousness and silliness. Snow and sun. Laughter and tears. It's how we are wired, the intricate web of inputs and outputs, AC and DC, USB and ethernet, that make us human.  

The final word in this debate is that most of us don't have a choice; and those of us that do opt for the lifestyle that works for our family.

Seeking their own type of balance

2 comments:

  1. It's really refreshing to me to hear the parent side of caring for kids. I mean, I take care of kids but at the end of the day, I go home to myself (and my sister). I feel like I really bond with my students--especially them being so young-- but I really don't know what it would be like to come home to my own children... Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you, sister. Sometimes,I wish the world would just stop spinning for am hour... But I'll just not do the laundry tonight (again) and go to bed earlier than my life should allow! The girls are beautiful and I'm so glad you linked up with trendy tots Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...