Sunday, January 9, 2011

You're My Everything

You're a falling star
You're the getaway car
You're the line in the sand
When I go too far

You're the swimming pool
On an August day
And you're the perfect thing to say

And you play it coy
But it's kinda cute
Oh when you smile at me
You know exactly what you do

Baby don't pretend
That you don't know it's true
'Cause you can see it
When I look at you

And in this crazy life
And through these crazy times
It's you, it's you
You make me sing
You're every line
You're every word
You're everything

You're a carousel
You're a wishing well
And you light me up
When you ring my bell

You're a mystery
You're from outer space
You're every minute of my every day


And I can't believe
That I'm your man
And I get to kiss you baby
Just because I can

Whatever comes our way
We'll see it through
And you know
That's what our love can do

And in this crazy life
And through these crazy times
It's you, it's you
You make me sing
You're every line
You're every word
You're everything

And in this crazy life
And through these crazy times
It's you, it's you
You make me sing
You're every line
You're every word
You're everything

You're every song
And I sing along
'Cause you're my everything
Yeah, yeah

Michael Buble' 

I used to croon this song to my infant daughters strapped in their car seats, willing myself to believe the words - that my daughters had become my everything; that they were all I needed. 



Last month, at my office holiday dinner, our new administrative assistant remarked that she would have never imagined that I didn't always want kids because of my utter love for them. I told her that I used to mock women that had babies to give them purpose in life. I wanted my purpose to be ME... 


Alas, now that I have children, they are my reason for living. 


The four women that make up my office each represent a different decade in regards to age; 20's, 30's, 40's and 50's. The 3 eldest have very different stories to tell of the circumstances on our journeys to becoming a parent. 


Caprice, in her 40's, does not mince words when she tells us that Kat - her brilliant, gorgeous daughter - now a distinguished member of the elite Marine Corps band and her best friend in the whole world, was "the best mistake she ever made". 


We all nod our heads in agreement. 


Ah, but it was not always like this. It was not always Sugar and Spice and Everything Nice, as the nursery rhyme goes. 


The good things in our lives never come easy, do they? Most of us work our fingers to the bone for the good things in our lives. I never should have expected that parenting would be easy, just like marriage isn't easy, nor is dieting or friendships or... 


For years, I had a quote from Rose Kennedy on my fridge, given to me by my step-mom after a heart wrenching breakup that changed the course of my life; 


"I have always believed that God never gives a cross to bear larger than we can carry." 


I never really understood the quote until I learned that she outlived only four of her nine children. 


I never fully comprehended the quote until I crawled out of depression. 


Worth every minute.... 

1 comment:

  1. Amber, I am beginning to adore you. Completely and utterly adore you. Your insights into your depression are amazing. I want to know more. So I'm going to continue stalking your blog. :) This is like reading my brain. Thank YOU. And that song, "Everything" ? One of my favorites for very much the same reason. My kids also love it and wail along with it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...