Monday, September 20, 2010

40 Weeks

Have you ever done the math of pregnancy? 40 weeks is full term. But 2 of those weeks occur before a woman even ovulates. Most women don't know they are pregnant until at least the 5th week - one week after the irritating, yet reliable monthly visitor is scheduled to arrive.  That leaves 35 weeks to skip about happily preparing for the arrival of the most life changing, heart wrenching experience of your entire life.

Now consider this: "full term" for twins is 37 weeks (and I use quotes to express the irony here - there is another baby, but three fewer weeks...) I won't even go into the ludicrous timeframe for triplets and quads.

Side note: I foreshadowed my own pre-term labor when I facetiously posed the rhetorical question to a friend of mine as to why, in this technological age, did I have to lug these babies around for 9 months??

Most doctors will schedule the first ultrasound at 20 weeks; mine was reluctantly done at 16 weeks, due to persistent high blood pressure in my first trimester. After being assured of a solo, yet strong heartbeat at my 12 week appointment, I had settled into pregnancy quite easily. Although anxious about motherhood, I had no idea what lay ahead.
 
Of course, it was at that ultrasound that I first saw this image.

18 weeks later, at 34 weeks, I gave birth to my identical twin baby girls. That's 4 1/2 months for those of you still following my math. So, one half the normal time to mentally prepare for two times the number of infants.

Does not compute!
_______________________________

While I was pregnant, during the course of a normal day, I might get to experience the little thrill of telling a stranger that had inquired about my pregnancy that I was expecting twins. The overwhelming common response was, "What a blessing!" Now, not being a religious minded person, I admit to cringing a bit the first few times.

But while shopping at Old Navy for bigger maternity clothes, I remember the first time that I actually believed my twin baby girls may just be a blessing. It was the same day I had spent the morning sobbing to my dad on the phone as he encouraged me to embrace the thought of twins, and to look forward to the day when I could hold them both in my arms.

Children bring immeasurable joy to our lives, no matter the manner or timeframe in which they arrive.

I love them more and more each day, and wonder how that's possible?
(picture taken in May 2010, Pacific Beach, WA)


3 comments:

  1. 37 would have been great, but 34 with twins? I'm impressed.
    And again, that picture on your header is STUNNING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My practice does a dating ultrasound for all pregnancies at the 5/6 week mark. And then all the suspected multiples pregnancies get another ultrasound at 7/8. And they do an ultrasound every visit once they know it is multiples to check heartbeats. Add in the perinatologist scans and it's a lot!

    And this time since I'm now high risk six ways, I have had eight ultrasounds at 14 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was part of a midwife nurse group during my pregnancy and they wouldn't even let me schedule my first appointment until I was 8 weeks! But yeah, after we discovered I was carrying twins, the ultrasounds started. Honestly, I lost count, but I know it was a ton. (but not as many as you!!)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...