Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Silence is Deafening

I knew I had arrived as a parent when I described the squeals of my daughters playing with their cousins as the "sound of happiness" while they ran the circular route that is our house, leaving a bevy of toys in their wake.

(My house has never been spotless, and now I have a reason. These two pint-sized Tasmanian devils reside there now, and can create enormous messes in the blink of an eye.)

The other day, as I dropped the girls at the YMCA daycare, they were the only kids. As they scampered to claim toys, it was quiet in the room. I said to the attendant, "the silence is deafening" - and it was - the room is usually filled with babies and children and the noises that accompany them.

I experienced this phenomenon in my own house shortly thereafter. The girls were fighting a cold, and had been napping for hours one afternoon. My husband and I took advantage of the child-free time by catching up on reading, emails and chores. But at a certain point, the house feels too quiet. Somber instead of peaceful, almost like a reminder of the void our lives would have without these two boisterous beings.

If Happy does have a sound, wouldn't it be laughter? And what better laughter than that of a child - their brains and emotions unencumbered by adult worries, insecurities and prejudices?

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about the sound of happiness...I love the chortles, the squeals, the growlings, the roarings, and the all out laughter times two ...or more! These are the noises of uninhibited glee! Noises adults can't get away with in the presence of others...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...